Spring is in the air! Are you travelling? Here’s a sneak peek at what’s inside the latest issue of Wild magazine.
Adventurers, birders, photographers, hikers, wildlife enthusiasts – if you need inspiration to head for a Wild Card destination, look no further. We’ve got you covered.
- Just how much action can one adventurer fit into a weekend? In the Garden Route National Park, we zip and zoom through fynbos and forest with Survivor finalist and ultramarathon athlete Letshego Zulu.
- One of South Africa’s top ten hikes, the challenging Swellendam Hiking Trail, has recently reopened. It’s a festival of flora all year round as you explore the fynbos treasures of Marloth Nature Reserve.
- Safety on safari: Millions of hikers, campers and wildlife enthusiasts enjoy incident-free safaris. Be well-prepared for your next trip to our awesome wild places.
- Birding alert: The European roller, one of our most splendid summer visitors, is in peril in its northern breeding grounds. What can we do to help these long-distance migrants?
- Micro safari: This article will change the way you appreciate nature forever. In Kruger’s much-loved Letaba Rest Camp, we scrutinise the tiniest of the little critters and tap into the knowledge of expert tracker, guide and author Lee Gutteridge.
- Meet the gangsters: For suricates and banded mongoose, life is one big social get-together. While snooping on clans in the Kgalagadi and Kruger, we discovered that they count among Africa’s most complex mammals.
- The most romantic experience of all! Make your childhood dreams come true when you check into one of these treehouses. You can’t get closer to nature than this.
- Be stirred by fine art photography. Wildlife photographer Jenny Hishin projects her subject from a clean white expanse. “It’s all about stripping images down to their bare essentials,” she says, “to make the viewer feel positive and calm.”