What a wonderful time of year to explore our parks and reserves! Sunny days still abound and somewhat cooler temperatures make for perfect hiking weather. Draw inspiration from Wild for your next trip – you’ll see there’s no end to the exciting experiences on offer.
Secluded kloofs filled with flowering proteas, mountain paths carved out by donkeys, historical cottages that will transport you back in time … Swartberg and Gamkaberg nature reserves are a world onto their own. Pack the car, grab your Wild Card and follow our itinerary to explore this remote corner of South Africa.
For culture vultures
- Stay in a Basotho hut and learn how traditional healers use medicinal plants.
- Attend a Shangaan festival on a cross-border hiking trail from Kruger.
- There are more wild dogs in northern Kruger than you might think! Wild joins the researchers tracking their movements.
- What do lions mean for Karoo National Park? Mitch Reardon sheds light on the park’s big cats.
Pitch your tent
Is camping at De Hoop the ultimate family holiday? Think pristine beaches, mountain-bike trails and a vlei buzzing with birdlife.
Hit the road
- See a different side to Knysna Forest on this self-drive route.
- Our pick of five 4×4 trails to try this year.
New places to stay
- Cederberg: Charming cottages at Algeria are easy on the eye and the pocket.
- Kruger: You’ll feel like you have the park all to yourself at Pafuri Border Camp