The dreamy Whiskey Creek Cabin, Keurbooms River Nature Reserve’s exclusive overnight spot, is synonymous with unspoilt nature. The best news? The cabin recently re-opened its doors after the completion of much-needed renovations.
Situated on the Garden Route and a stone’s throw from the coastal village of Plettenberg Bay, Keurbooms River Nature Reserve promises a lush retreat for those looking to escape the rat race. After almost 10 months of extensive maintenance, Whiskey Creek Cabin is once again open for business – and nature-hungry visitors.
“Work on the cabin included the full replacement of the weight-bearing poles that keep the cabin in the air, and work on the solar and water supply. It was done to ensure the structural safety of the cabin,” says Marietjie Engelbrecht, CapeNature’s senior communication manager.
The cabin’s isolated and private setting greatly contributes to its popularity. “Why is it so special? It is accessibly only by river and guests even have a little private river beach all to themselves.”
Getting to the cabin
First of all, pack lightly. The Whiskey Creek Canoe Trail starts at the reserve’s main entrance. Here you’ll get into a double canoe and paddle 7km upstream. No need to worry about gear – CapeNature provides safety equipment as well as a dry bag to protect your stuff. After some four hours on the water, the cabin will be in sight. Dry shoes will come in handy as a short 400m walk is required to reach the cabin. It’s advisable to set out early so you can bird along the way, stop at one of the beaches and have a picnic before settling in at the cabin.
- Sleeps a maximum of 10 (four bunk beds and two single beds)
- Solar lighting and solar geyser showers
- Open-air kitchen with a gas fridge, two-plate gas cooker, pots, pans, crockery and cutlery
- Expansive deck with braai area
- Guests to provide all bedding and food
- Wood needs to be purchased at the reserve gate
- No pets allowed
Tariffs & bookings
- R1,520 for 1-6 persons per night (off-peak), or R2,290 for 1-6 persons per night (peak); An additional R320 per person per night (maximum of 10 guests)
- Call CapeNature Central Reservation on +27 (0)21 483 0190, book online, or send an email to [email protected] for more information.