We asked the team at Cape Union Mart for their gear recommendations for a visit to one of our favourite parks. Located just 120km north of Cape Town, West Coast National Park offers various types of accommodation and activities of which the flower season is probably the biggest drawcard.
- Map and gear for navigation
- Sun protection − yes, even in winter
- Food and hydration and a good flask for something warm
- Lumination and some backup power like this Powertraveller Solar Monkey Adventurer
- First-aid supplies
- Good binoculars like Malkin Binocs
- Sensible luggage like this gearbag and backpack
- A reliable multi-tool
- Shelter like a tent and sleeping bags − even if you’re not camping, they could still come in handy
The climate varies, from 7-18° in winter, accompanied by rain, to 15-27° in summer, when it’s dry. Travellers will be well advised to pack for changing weather patterns.
For more gear ideas and advice, visit the Cape Union Mart site.