Taking its name from the peak between Champagne Castle and Cathkin Mountain, this reserve is situated in the heart of the Drakensberg. Monks Cowl has a diverse topography, giving form to magical forests, deep valleys, sweeping grasslands, towering cliffs, cascading waterfalls and breathtaking vistas from the mountains.
- Day hikes suitable for all fitness levels
- Overnight hiking with access to the Mdedelo Wilderness Area
- Guided cultural walks
- Day walks
- Overnight hikes and sleeping in caves or anywhere in the wilderness area
- Swimming in fresh mountain streams and rock pools
Top sightings: Oribi, blesbok, red hartebeest, martial eagle, bearded vulture
Accommodation: Camping, overnight hike caves
Gate times: October – March 05:00 – 19:00, April – September 06:00 – 18:00
Nearest centre: Estcourt is 70km away (about 45 minutes).
Know before you go
- All hikers must fill in the Mountain Rescue Register on arrival.
- Make sure you’re well equipped as the weather can change with little warning.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)36 468 1103
Ezemvelo Central Reservations: +27 (0)33 845 1000, [email protected]
Visit Monks Cowl Nature Reserve’s home page.