Mlilwane is Swaziland’s oldest protected area, situated in the Ezulwini Valley (Valley of Heaven) between Mbabane and Manzini. On the western boundary, the huge Usutu Forest provides a dramatic backdrop stretching into the distant hills, while grassland plains extend towards the south. A guided horseback safari is a must for a thrilling dose of adventure and game viewing.
- Nyonyane Mountain and Usutu Forest in the south of the park
- Restaurant overlooking a hippo pool
- Intimate game encounters in a relaxed setting
It certainly is an adventurer’s playground, but also much more than that. It’s a sanctuary where wild animals and humans live in harmony. Where rare creatures such as suni antelope and blue cranes are offered a safe haven where they can breed and contribute to the survival of their species.
– Dale Morris, Wild 28
Activities: Sunrise and sunset drives, mountain biking (guided or on your own), guided birding walk, overnight horse trails, hiking
Top sightings: Hippo, wildebeest, crocodile, nyala, Rock of Execution (top of Nyonyane Mountain)
Accommodation: Camping, backpackers, traditional Swazi grass huts, self-catering cottages, luxury lodge
Gate times: Open 24 hours.
Nearest centre: Half an hour from Mbabane (about 20km).
Know before you go
- Don’t forget your valid international passport as Swaziland is an independent Kingdom. Visas for most countries are either not needed or are obtainable free at the borders (check with the Central Reservations office for details).
- South African driver’s licence accepted.
- Malaria precautions – please seek your doctor’s advice.
Contact parks: +268 2528 3992
Big Game Parks Central Reservations: +268 2528 3943/4, [email protected]
Visit Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary’s home page.