Parents, pack away those cellphones, tablets and so-called interactive games this holiday season. Get the youngsters outdoors and discovering the wilderness with exciting and fun-filled programmes at some of our national parks.
From guided game drives and ancient rock paintings to scavenger hunts and adventurous walks… There’s no need for young nature lovers to be bored during the December holidays. School’s out and fresh air is the order of the day!
The park is running a free programme open to children aged 6-16 as well as adults who want to join in on the fun. The programme includes two guided game drives, which do carry a charge.
- 11 Dec (08:00-10:00): Guided game drive (R90 per child)
- 12 Dec (09:00-10:30): Guided 1km walk on the Imbila Hiking Trail (fenced area)
- 13 Dec (10:00-12:00): Watching nature DVDs
- 14 Dec (10:00-12:30): Signs of the wild – tracks and tracking
- 15 Dec (11:00-12:00): Guided game drive to a rock painting site (R85 per child)
- 16 Dec (12:00-13:00): Know your birds
- 17 Dec (10:00-12:00): Watching nature DVDs and playing ecological games
- 18 Dec (09:00-11:30): Guided walk on the 2,5km Black Eagle Hiking Trail (fenced area)
Bookings: +27 (0)48 801 5700/1
Visitors to Addo between the ages of 5 and 13 are in for a treat. The park will be running a holiday programme aimed at inspiring love for the natural world.
Special guided game drives for youngsters will run at 09:00 every day between 4 and 14 December. It’s a chance to learn all about the creatures that call Addo home, from the enormous elephant to the tiny dung beetle. The game drives cost R60 per child; minimum of five children, maximum 22. Parents, make sure to secure your child’s spot by signing up at park reception.
Activities will also be held at Addo’s Interpretive Centre between 13:30 and 15:00:
- 4 Dec: Face painting
- 5 Dec: Storytelling – The spotted hyena
- 6 Dec: What is the Big Seven?
- 7 Dec: Explore nature on foot – a walk on the wild side
- 8 Dec: Movie corner on a big screen
- 11 Dec: Face painting
- 12 Dec: Scavenger hunt
- 13 Dec: What is your favourite animal?
- 14 Dec: Movie corner
Bookings: +27 (0)42 233 8600
Kids talks in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg
Not travelling to a national park this summer? You can still explore the jungle with Wild and Cape Union Mart. Join us on Saturday 9 December for a Jumanji-themed adventure with spiders, snakes and other reptiles. Read more about these kids events.