Feel on top of the world in this high and rugged wilderness 120km north of Cape Town. Winters are cold and sometimes snowy, but moderate summers are perfect for hiking. You’ll see fine fynbos, extraordinary rock formations, game, wild cats and other predators. The circular hike for day visitors will give you a taste of this unspoilt mountain setting.
- Rugged, mountainous landscape
- Exploring the wilderness area on foot
- Short and long walking trails
- Multi-day hikes
- Rock art
- Swimming (only for competent swimmers)
Top sightings: The rare Sorocephalus scabridus (part of protea family), red disa, klipspringer, grey rhebuck, leopard, caracal, wild cat, genet, jackal buzzard, Verreaux’s eagle, southern rock lizard
Accommodation: Self-catering chalets, hikers may camp overnight anywhere in the reserve or wilderness area
Office times: 07:30 – 16:00
Nearest centre: Porterville is 33km away (about 20 minutes).
Know before you go
- Fuel is available in Porterville.
- Winters are extremely cold; visitors and hikers are warned to come prepared.
- Hiking permits are available from the office and must be carried at all times.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)22 931 2860
CapeNature Central Reservations: +27 (0)21 483 0190, [email protected]
Visit Groot Winterhoek Wilderness Area’s home page.