This nature and marine reserve is situated along the scenic Garden Route. With its long beach, extensive dune field and Goukamma River, it offers endless opportunities to be active as well as to relax. The unique Groenvlei Lake in the reserve has no in-flowing river and no link to the sea. Birdlife is abundant and it is a great body of water for water sport enthusiasts.
- Variety of fantastic walking trails
- Picnicking along Groenvlei lake
- Beachcombing and beach walking
Early mornings are usually windstill on the river. With whisps of steam rising from the water, this is the perfect time to go rowing and paddle alongside spur-winged and Egyptian geese.
– Romi Boom, Wild 23
- Swimming and beachcombing
- Fishing from the shore (not ski-boat fishing)
- Whale watching in season
Top sightings: Caracal, grysbok porcupine, bushpig, bushbuck, honey badger, otter, African spoonbill, African march harrier, Knysna turaco, endangered African penguin, southern right whale
Accommodation: Bush lodge, bush camp, rondavels (all self-catering)
Office times: 07:30 – 16:00
Nearest centre: Knysna is 25km away (about 20 minutes).
Know before you go
- Fuel and supplies are available in the nearby towns of Knysna Sedgefield and Wilderness.
- Hiking permits must be purchased on arrival or through CapeNature Central Reservations.
- Fishing permits are obtainable at the post office.
- No ski-boat or spear fishing is allowed as the reserve is a Marine Protected Area.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)44 383 0042
CapeNature Central Reservations: +27 (0)21 483 0190, [email protected]
Visit Goukamma Nature Reserve’s home page.