Lying in the little Karoo between Ladismith and Laingsburg, this reserve showcases some striking scenery and fascinating animal life. The landscape alternates from rolling Karoo plains to rugged mountains with steep gorges. Branches of the Gouritz river system flow through the reserve. The guided overnight horse trail is a great way of seeing the reserve and wildlife.
- Bushman paintings and ruins from early hunters and farmers from the 1700s
- Two-day guided horse trail with rustic overnight stop
- Incredible night skies
There is much to do for adults and children alike, but don’t bother to keep a to-do list as the Karoo has a way of slowing down your pace.
– Bongani Mgayi, Wild 24
Activities: Mountain biking, 4×4 routes, stargazing, swimming in the reservoir, birding, kayaking on the dam
Top sightings: Cape mountain zebra, black-backed jackal, red hartebeest, steenbok, duiker, gemsbok, caracal
Accommodation: Camping, self catering cottages
Office times: 07:30 – 16:00
Nearest centre: Laingsburg and Ladismith are both 70km away (about 40 minutes).
Know before you go
- There is no cellphone reception in the reserve.
- It is advisable to fill with fuel before visiting the reserve – the nearest fuel is 70km away in the towns of Laingsburg and Ladismith.
- The entrance from Montagu and Touws River are only suitable for high clearance vehicles.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)23 551 1922, [email protected]
CapeNature Central Reservations: +27 (0)21 483 0190, [email protected]
Visit Anysberg Nature Reserve‘s home page.