This dam near Pietermaritzburg is a wonderful haven for keen birders and game viewing enthusiasts, as well as fans of water sports. You can fish for bass, enjoy recreational motor-boating and take advantage of the tranquil thornveld that’s bursting with wildlife. Keen anglers won’t want to miss the chance to cast a line as Albert Falls Dam is the top bass dam in South Africa.
- Wide variety of bird life
- Picnicking at the water’s edge
- Fishing for bass, carp, tilapia , barbel (catfish) and scalies
At Albert Falls there are no fences between the game park and the visitors’ area, which means you can lie in bed and watch impala graze, or you can go on an early game drive in your pyjamas.
– Philip and Ingrid van den Berg, Wild 22
- Nature trails
- Bird watching
- Game viewing
Top sightings: Eland, blesbok, giraffe, warthog, zebra, African fish eagle, osprey, secretary bird, spoonbill
Accommodation: Cottages, rondavels, chalets, camping
Gate times: 05:30 – 21:30
Nearest centre: 30 minutes from Pietermaritzburg (20km).
Know before you go
- Fishing permits and boat registration, required at all Msinsi’s Reserves, are available at the gates to the reserves or at reception.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)33 569 1202, [email protected]
Msinsi Central Reservations: +27 (0)31 765 7724
Visit Albert Falls Dam & Game Reserve’s home page.