Sharing might be caring, but when it comes to rolling white beaches, unforgettable ocean views and quality time with loved ones, no-one will blame you for being a tad selfish. Set off to one of these stunning seaside settings and recharge your batteries in blissful seclusion. By Arnold Ras
Robberg Nature Reserve
Where: Fountain Shack
Sweet solitude: This historical fisherman’s cottage, situated in one of CapeNature’s Marine Protected Areas, offers endless views of the peninsula. Seeing that the restored self-catering cottage is the only available accommodation on Robberg, you’ll have the incredible surrounds all to yourself. The cottage sleeps a maximum of eight guests.
What to do?
- Choose between three trails ranging from 30-minute strolls to a four-hour hike.
- Have a picnic at one of the reserve’s three viewing decks.
- Visit Nelson Bay Cave, a Stone Age archaeological site.
- Fishermen, feel free to pack your tackle, but remember that only rock and surf angling are allowed.
From R920 per night (1-4 persons) | +27 (0)21 483 0190 | Book online
Table Mountain National Park
Where: Olifantsbos Guest House
Sweet solitude: Look around you and drink in your good fortune: the sounds of the ocean, the picturesque flora of the Cape of Good Hope and the warm summer evening with not a soul in sight. The cosy cottage and additional annex sleep up to 12 guests and have everything you need for an unforgettable getaway. Olifantsbos is also a top surfing location. Look for a rocky right pointbreak – for many a secret spot – to experience epic waves and views from your surfboard.
What to do?
- Follow the Thomas T Tucker Shipwreck Trail along the beach.
- Cool off in the excellent tidal pool at Buffels Bay.
- Pack your snorkel and explore marine life in Venus Pool.
- Ride the funicular to visit the Cape Point lighthouse.
From R3,590 per night (1-4 persons) | Telephonic reservations advised +27 (0) 12 428 9111 | [email protected]
Agulhas National Park
Where: Lagoon House
Sweet solitude: Imagine 270-degree views of one of the world’s most dramatic shorelines, the coast of Cape Agulhas. The secret to Lagoon House’s appeal lies in its location – it sits alone on a beautiful peninsula west of the Suiderstrand enclave. This gem of a hideaway has four bedrooms (two en suite), an equipped kitchen and a comfy living room. You’ll want to sit on the stoep and look out on the crashing waves. One thing’s for sure: you will not want to leave.
What to do?
- Visit the southernmost tip of Africa and take a selfie for bragging rights.
- Explore the area’s many shipwrecks.
- Visit the Cape Agulhas lighthouse and museum.
- Swim in the nearby lagoon.
- Scan the park’s rockpools alive with sea creatures.
From R3,375 per night (1-6 persons) | +27 (0)12 428 9111 | [email protected]