Just east of the popular coastal town of Hermanus, expect to find breathtaking scenery including a 17km stretch of white beach, a lagoon, limestone outcrops and dunes. This reserve is of historical and environmental importance, with a range of activities to help the visitor appreciate this serene space.
- 4×4 Fishing Trail, open daily from 07:00 – 19:00
- Klipgat Cave where Middle Stone Age people lived some 85,000 to 65,000 years ago
- Whale watching – look for southern right, humpback and Bryde’s whales
- 4X4 routes
Top sightings: Seabirds including the endangered African black oystercatcher, southern right whale
Accommodation: No overnight accommodation is available in the reserve but there are many options in the nearby towns of Stanford, Gansbaai and Hermanus, as well as at Kogelberg Nature Reserve.
Office times: 07:00 – 16:00.
Nearest centre: The reserve is on the coastal side of Stanford (about 2 minutes away).
Know before you go
- Driving on the beach is prohibited.
- Fuel and supplies are available in the nearby coastal towns of Hermanus and Stanford.
- Swimming is allowed but take caution as the sea can be rough.
- Permits for marine angling are available at post offices.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)28 314 0062
CapeNature Central Reservations: +27 (0)21 483 0190, [email protected]
Visit Walker Bay Nature Reserve’s home page.