No plans for the Easter Weekend? Head to the Garden Route and choose between more than 52 different walks. Yup, get ready for the second year of South Africa’s only walking festival.
The HI-TEC Garden Route Walking Festival encompasses some of SA’s most mind-blowing hiking destinations: Mossel Bay, George, Wilderness, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay and Nature’s Valley. And with over 52 walks to pick and choose from, there’s something for everyone: kids, birders, poetry and yoga lovers, wildlife enthusiasts, professional hikers, and even nudists! Make this year’s Easter Weekend from 14 to 17 April 2017 a wild break with a difference.
Festival founder Galeo Saintz is particularly excited about the festival’s diverse collection of walks. “From the easy to the extreme, from slow beach strolls exploring tidal pools at night to climbing some of the region’s highest peaks, from kids pirate treasure hunts to dune walks and sand-boarding, from wild game walks to poetry in the forest, from underwater walks to the most famous trails of the Garden Route. There’s just no excuse not to sign up for a walk.”
Great news is that most of the walks are completely free! “Walks that do have a charge are absolutely worth it. It’s about nature, health and meeting awesome people. Our many walk leaders, who are either passionate local volunteers living on the Garden Route or professional guides from the region, adore the many varied and beautiful walks we have on offer.”
- Naked in Nature: Although a sarong is optional, it’s a chance to walk barefoot and clothes-free through a forest to a magical river.
- Sand Boarding Trail: Enjoy the Brenton Beach Sandboarding Trail on, well, a sandboard. Climb some of Brenton-On-Sea’s stunning dunes and slide all the way to the bottom. Sounds like fun?
Walks with a difference
- Sketching Nature Art Walk: Get in touch with your inner artist. Make your own charcoal and sketch magnificent nature scenes on this coastal circular trail.
- Fancy Dress Walk & Sundowners: For this walk, costumes, body painting and masks add a twist to the short and easy walk through Robberg Nature Reserve.
For the kids
- Inner Magic Children’s Walk: Discover your special talents while turning walking into a fun and engaging activity. Parents, do make a note of this one.
- Interactive Forest Walk: Led by a professional guide, this walk imparts facts about indigenous trees, bugs and birds that call the Garden Route forests home.
One with nature
- Robberg Peninsula Point: This five-hour (9,5km) walk is strenuous but definitely worth it. Experiencing Robberg Nature Reserve’s gorgeous peninsula is the stuff of dreams.
- Underwater Walk: Talking about unique! Get up close and personal with the ocean’s many wonders and snorkel along the rocks of Mossel Bay’s Santos Beach.