Connecting the Western and Northern Cape, the wide open spaces of this park never fail to leave visitors in awe. The epitome of tranquillity, Tankwa boasts rich bird life, peculiar plants, vast plains, starry nights, and peace and quiet.
- Fantastic stargazing as there is no light pollution around this park
- The sense of space and deep quiet
- Fascinating succulent plants found nowhere else in the world
Tankwa is definitely not ‘absolute nothingness’. Space, tranquillity in abundance as the brochure informs, plus mountains, riverbeds, farmsteads, a shimmering dam, wildlife, birds and the incredible strength and softness of nature showing yet another marvellous face.
– Ron Swilling , Wild 30
Activities: Hiking, birding, picnicking, 4×4 routes
Top sightings: Klipspringer, succulent flora, spring flowers, stars, martial eagle
Accommodation: Cottages, renovated farmsteads, guest house, camping
Gate times: April − September 06:30 – 18:00, October – March 05:30 – 19:00
Nearest centre: Calvinia is 110km away (under two hours).
Know before you go
- Only diesel available in the park. Fill up with petrol in Middelpos (52km), Calvinia (110km), Sutherland (140km) or Ceres (180km).
- No cell reception within the park, but there is Wi-Fi at Roodewerf Reception.
- All main access roads and roads within the park are gravel. The stones are sharp and loose, take caution at corners and stops.
Contact park: +27 (0)27 341 1927, [email protected]
SANParks Central Reservations: +27 (0)12 428 9111
Visit Tankwa Karoo National Park‘s home page.