Best known for its birdlife, Ndumo has the the highest bird count in South Africa with 430 species! The reserve is situated on the Mozambique border near Tembe Elephant Park and boasts beautiful pans surrounded by fever trees. Extensive wetlands, reedbeds, rivers, acacia savanna and sand forest are all characteristics of this reserve.
- Specials such as Pel’s fishing owl
- Specialist birding walks
- Pristine pans (accessible on a guided vehicle safari)
Nature photographers go to get blown away by the tropical ambience and the beauty of the sand forest.
– Ingrid van den Berg, Wild 21
- Self-guided vehicle trails and game drive
- Guided game drive
- Guided day walks
Top sightings: Hippo, rhino, crocodile, pelicans, pygmy geese, game species
Accommodation: Chalets, camping
Gate times: October – March 05:00 – 19:00, April – September 06:00 – 18:00
Nearest centre: 100km from Mkuze (about an hour).
Know before you go
- Ndumo is in a malaria area – precaution is advised.
- The closest fuel is in Mkuze, 100km away.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)35 591 0004
Ezemvelo Central Reservations: +27 (0)33 845 1000, [email protected]
Visit Ndumo Game Reserve’s home page.