The gorgeous sandstone mountains of Golden Gate will resound with sublime music this summer. Don’t miss the FNB Golden Classics, a celebration of classical music and jazz, held from 8 to 10 December 2017.
Could there be a more beautiful concert hall than the rolling grasslands and honey-coloured cliffs of Golden Gate Highlands National Park? From 8 to 10 December the park will play host to the FNB Golden Classics, a unique musical experience in the foothills of the majestic Maluti Mountains.
The main attraction is the Saturday evening’s classical performance by internationally acclaimed opera singers Given Nkosi and Kelebogile Besong. The tenor and spinto soprano will perform a selection of arias from well-loved operas as well as light classics and favourites from musicals. They will be accompanied by the Free State Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Kutlwano Masote.
The weekend will kick off on the Friday evening with sundowners. Gloria Bosman, Timothy Moloi and the Jazz Trio will set the mood with popular jazz standards while a boma braai will add to the convivial atmosphere.
Before Saturday’s Golden Classics performance gets under way, guests will be free to explore this stunning corner of the northeastern Free State. There’s plenty to do, from hiking, birding, game viewing and horse riding in the park to a variety of adventure sports nearby. Keen golfers should pack their clubs.
Just down the road from Golden Gate lies picturesque Clarens, an artist’s haven known for its galleries, quirky shops and cute eateries. Visitors can head to the local craft brewery for a beer tasting or indulge with treatments at the day spa.
With its combination of glorious music, stunning scenery and myriad leisure options, the FNB Golden Classics is a weekend that will be good for body and soul. Can you think of a better way to ring in the festive season?
FNB Golden Classics weekend package
- Golden Classics under the stars (Saturday)
- Sundowners and jazz (Friday)
- Two nights’ accommodation (dinner, bed and breakfast basis)
- Option to add activity packages: golf, quad biking, zip lining, archery
R6,500 for two people sharing
Book with [email protected]
There’s plenty to do at Golden Gate between the musical performances. Whether you have a taste for adventure or prefer a more leisurely approach, you’ll find something to your taste.
The following packages can be booked by email: [email protected]
- Golf: Includes entrance fee, green fee and cart – R385 a person, caddy available at R180
- Adventure: 60 minute quad bike ride and 6m wall climb – R380 a person
- Leisure: zipline, archery and putt putt – R300 a person
Also on offer…
- Horse riding (R150 a person) and hiking (free of charge) available at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Museum tour (R60 a person) at the Basotho Cultural Village – enquire at park reception
- Beer tasting at Clarens Brewery
- Spa treatments at B You Day Spa in Clarens