This unspoilt wilderness is a haven for endangered African wildlife. Mkhaya lies in the tranquil heart of the lowveld in the southeast of Swaziland, a refuge to animals that are now threatened with extinction. An overnight stay at Mkhaya includes dinner under the stars before retiring to a luxurious stone cottage open to the sounds of the bush.
- Close encounters with big game
- Insightful guided activities (included in daily rate)
- Delicious bush cuisine and unique accommodation
Mkhaya is Swaziland’s flagship reserve, known for its intimate encounters with four of the Big Five and as a refuge for endangered species such as sable antelope and tsessebe. Within half an hour we found what I had been hoping for, two white rhinos.
– Cheryl-Samantha Owen, Wild 32
Activities: Game viewing, open Land Rover game drives, walking safaris, bush trail
Top sightings: Black and white rhino, roan antelope, sable antelope, tsessebe, elephant
Accommodation: Thatched stone cottages
Gate times: Entry at pre-booked times.
Nearest centre: Under an hour from Manzini (about 45km)
Know before you go
- All visits to Mkhaya require pre-bookings through the Central Reservations office and overnight rates include accommodation, meals and all guided activities. The reserve can also be visited on a day tour from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Don’t forget your valid international passport as Swaziland is an independent Kingdom. Visas for most countries are either not needed or are obtainable free at the borders (check with the Central Reservations office for details).
- South African driver’s licence accepted.
- Malaria precautions: please seek your doctor’s advice.
Contact park: +268 2528 3943
Big Game Parks Central Reservations: +268 2528 3943/4, [email protected]
Visit Mkhaya Game Reserve’s home page.