A vast park of red dunes and camelthorn trees provides the perfect backdrop for sightings of cheetah, gemsbok and black-maned lion. Tucked into the northern corner between Namibia and Botswana, this park offers the true Kalahari experience. A self-guided game drive or a trip on a 4×4 trail promises fantastic wildlife sightings.
Cubitje Quap waterhole in the Kgalagadi is the place to be early morning. Put your camera on motor drive to capture the action.
– Peter Chadwick, Wild 26
- Game viewing especially lions, cheetahs and leopards
- 4×4 trails
- Guided walks
- Morning and sunset drives
- !Xerry wilderness trail
- Swimming pools
Top sightings: Meerkat, black-maned lion, gemsbok, sociable weaver, pygmy falcon, barking gecko
Accommodation: Camping, safari tents, chalets, family cottages, dune cabins, luxury lodge
January 05:00 – 19:30
February 06:00 – 19:30
March 06:30 – 19:00
April 07:00 – 18:30
May 07:00 – 18:00
June – July 07:30 – 18:00
August 07:00 – 18:30
September 06:00 – 18:30
October 06:00 – 19:00
November & December 05:30 – 19:30
Nearest centre: Upington is 265km away (about 3 hours).
Know before you go
- Fuel is available at the main camps in the park: Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob. These rest camps also sell basic commodities.
- Roads in the park are not sedan friendly. High clearance is essential.
- Keep an emergency supply of 10 litres of water in your vehicle.
- Visitors must be aware of the travelling distances within the park from Twee Rivieren to the other rest camps:
- Nossob: 4,5 hours; Grootkolk: 7,5 hours; Gharagab: not possible in one day; Bitterpan: 6,5 hours; Kieliekrankie: 1,5 hours; Urikaruus: 2,5 hours; Kalahari Tented Camp: 3,5 hours; Mata Mata: 3,5 hours.
- Visitors intending to exit into Namibia or Botswana, must complete immigration control at Twee Rivieren. A minimum two-night stay is required in the park in these instances.
Contact park: +27 (0)54 561 2000, [email protected]
SANParks Central Reservations: +27 (0)12 428 9111, [email protected]
Visit Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park’s home page.