Just outside the town of Stellenbosch in the southwestern Cape, this reserve holds the spectacular Jonkershoek Mountains. The indigenous fynbos vegetation and serenity provide good birding opportunities. Enjoy a leisurely picnic, walk one of the day trails or cycle the management roads leading through the reserve.
- The beautiful scenery of the Jonkershoek Mountains can be appreciated from the valley floor as you enter the reserve.
- The walk to the waterfall is an easy ramble and there’s a chance to swim.
I caught my first view of the mountains through the dappled light of the fresh green leaves on the old oaks that line the atmospheric Stellenbosch streets. The glimpse didn’t prepare me for the striking beauty of the mountainous amphitheatre circling the bubbling, honey-coloured water of the Eerste River. I had entered a paradise right on my doorstep.
– Ron Swilling, Wild 19
- Hiking trails into the Jonkershoek Mountains as well as a less-strenuous circular 10km route
- Mountain biking
Top sightings: Baboon, klipspringer, honey badger, leopard, kingfisher, fish eagle, Protea repens, Protea neriifolia, mountain cypress
Accommodation: None in Jonkershoek but there is a self-catering manor house in the adjacent Assegaaibosch Nature Reserve.
Office times: 07:30 – 16:00
Nearest centre: It’s 5 minutes outside Stellenbosch (9km), an hour from Cape Town (about 50km).
Know before you go
- The Jonkershoek Nature Reserve incorporates the smaller Assegaaibosch Nature Reserve. Although there are separate entrances, it is possible to explore both reserves in one visit.
- Fuel is available in the nearby town of Stellenbosch.
Contact reserve: +27 (0)21 866 1560
CapeNature Central Reservations: +27 (0)21 483 0190, [email protected]
Visit Jonkershoek Nature Reserve’s home page.