Located in the vast bushveld expanse of eastern Swaziland, Hlane is the Kingdom’s largest protected area. The Royal National Park is home to the largest herds of game in the Kingdom and four of Africa’s Big Five. Don’t miss the chance to track animals on a guided walking safari with a Swazi field guide. You can also drive along the network of roads that criss-cross the park’s flat terrain for some game viewing.
- Fantastic sightings of wildlife at waterhole overlooked by restaurant
- Stop-over en route to/from Kruger National Park
- Bush trails
- Sightings of white-backed vultures
From the rest camp, we kept our eyes peeled along the initial pedal in the rhino and elephant section. The riding is non-technical, except for the occasional patch of sand. Chances are good you’ll bump into plains game while swooping amidst the stands of tamboti and knob-thorn.
– Jacques Marais
Activities: Guided walking safari, guided mountain bike trail, bird watching, sundowner and sunrise drives, open air restaurant, visit a real chief’s village
Top sightings: Four of the Big Five, bateleur, martial eagle, white-backed vulture, marabou stork
Accommodation: Camping (overlanders welcome), self-catering rondavels and cottages
Gate times: 06:00 – 18:00
Nearest centre: An hour from Manzini (about 70km)
Know before you go
- Don’t forget your valid international passport as Swaziland is an independent Kingdom. Visas for most countries are either not needed or are obtainable free at the borders (check with the Central Reservations office for details).
- South African driver’s licence accepted.
- Malaria precautions – please seek your doctor’s advice.
Contact park: +268 2383 8100
Big Game Parks Central Reservations: +268 2528 3943/4, [email protected]
Visit Hlane Royal National Park’s home page.